What BROKE You?
When a window breaks or cracks it will continue to break until mended. Same thing that happens to us if we have been broken in an area. Chances are if you are broken in one area, you are broken in another.
Levels of Brokenness: (Shattered, Smashed, Fractured, Splintered, Inoperative):
- Shattered: When something is shattered its broken into separate pieces. This is a place where multiple issues seem to happen at the same time. (Ex: Lost of a job, AC goes out, family member gets sick, you get sick, unexpected bills, all at the same time)
- Smashed: There is a heavy weight on your life that you can’t seem to get away from under. Most of the times, when you have been in a situation for a long time.
- Fractured: When something is fractured it affects stability and mobility in an area. In human anatomy fractures happen to bones. Bones, protect vital organs, produce cells, store minerals and provide structure for the body. In other words, this is an area that close relationships or circumstances have the ability to affect us internally and we hide them on the surface.
- Splintered: a splinter is a small part of a larger object that penetrates the body. When someone else’s issues invade your life and cause a break in you.
- Inoperative: When something happens to you that makes you quit.
In general conversation, someone asked me about printing t-shirts. Of course, my normal response to anything related to this subject, I HATE IT! She asked me why I hated so much, because I was really good at it. She said what broke you?
That question replayed in my mind. What broke me? I didn’t always feel this way, in fact I use to love creating graphics shirts and stuff.
After some time, I discovered, that the following things answer the question:
- Disproportionate value: meaning that I put so much effort into something and I didn’t feel the appropriate value. I offered my service for cheap or free most of the time. Unconsciously, I was putting the message out to myself and others, that what I did had little or no value.
- Feelings of being used: This is an onward battle in my life. I’m really good at a lot of stuff, so often times I feel that people only connect to me the way they do, because of what I’m able to do.
- Ungrateful complaining people: People want you to give them the world and complain about how you do it, but they don’t want to pay for what they are really asking for.
Every time someone asked me to do shirts or graphic design work I see, I feel, I live all over again, 1-3 (I’m not valued, I’m being used, or they are ungrateful). For the most part I have been at the inoperative level of brokenness in this area. After some time with the Lord about this.
I came to know if I’m broken in one area and it’s not resolved, it’s a good chance I’m broken in other areas.
Remember the situation will continue to break if not resolved properly.
He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. Psalm 147:3
God is always the answer! He is the one that can heal our brokenness!
I simply asked God to heal my brokenness in this area. I also asked him to show me areas in my life that are broken and heal me in those areas too. Lastly, I asked God to keep me alert to breaking points (potential areas that could break me). It may not happen overnight, but it will happen if you ask Him. It’s time to break the cycle of brokenness!