This is a good one, have you ever been irritated? Irritated: the state of feeling annoyed, impatient, or slightly angry. (Annoyance, vexed, resentment towards, crossness, tempered, rage, aggravated.)
I have been irritated, irritable, irrational, bothered or any other word, I can think of to describe this state of mood or feeling, I’ve been it!
A question I asked myself is WHY! One day after being irritated with maybe the 3rd person of the day, I began to question myself. The question being is it something going on with me or is it something going on with them? The answer is DEPENDS, right!?
- Person One: had no clue of what they were talking about but continued to talk about it.
- Person Two: asked too many questions.
- Person Three: uncommunicated issue I have with them, but don’t want to tell them to spare their feelings, so everything they do is irritating.
I believe my response is my responsibility.
I’m not in any situation where I’m coerced or forced, so inevitably, I’m responsible for how I respond. First thoughts are to turn and cast the spirit out of the person.
After all isn’t that what Paul did with the woman of divination. That’s an option, but most likely not applicable to my or your situation. We are not Paul, and prayerfully the person who is irritating you is not dabbling in divination (If so that’s a whole other blog).
Another approach is to dig deeper, WALK IN THE SPIRIT! It’s super easy to let our soul (flesh)(emotions) lead right..super easy… my flesh has won many a times.
Soulish Realm (Flesh, Carnality) does the following:
- Gets mad, aggravated, vexed, or feels resentment towards
- Get’s smart, sarcastic, or the opposite gets distant or quiet.
- Gossip, talk about them, or post about them in hopes they will see the message, and fix themselves.
Walking in the Spirit means applying the fruit or attributes, or God’s way of doing something instead of doing it the fleshly way. In most situations surprisingly you will find that you may be the source of the irritation. You may be the reason why you are vexed, annoyed, aggravated! I find that, when I’m truly walking in the Spirit, things don’t really irritate me as much.
- Person one: yeah, they had no clue about what they were taking about, but what does that have to do with me. Knowing them correction would have had us fussing, so the best route, is knowing there is a time to speak and a time not to. My point of view does not have to be proven, so easily stepping away with peace of mind would have done the trick.
- Person Two: Probably me. We can be so busy to the point that if people attempt to communicate with us, we don’t take time to consider them and what they are trying to say.
- Person Three: Me again! If I have a lingering issue with someone, I should communicate it. It is unfair to expect people to resolve issues they have no clue about. If you are not going to speak with them, permanently release them from the bondage you have placed them in and move forward and don’t put them back in the dungeon for things that you haven’t expressed.
All in all, to handle in irritation WALK IN THE SPIRIT.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[a] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Galatians 5:16-18